5 Low-Maintenance Houseplants for Easy Growing
For those who want plants without all the fuss, we’ve listed a few plants that can survive a bit of neglect. These colourful varieties will brighten up your home!
1. Snake Plants (Sansevieria spp) – These plants come in many shapes, colours, and sizes. Snake plants thrive on neglect. You only need to water every 2-6 weeks, and don’t worry if you don’t notice any new growth for a while; they are notoriously slow growers. Some varieties of snake plant include Mother-in-Law’s Tongue, Laurentii, and Twisted Sister. As the name suggests, the Twisted Sister variety has leaves that curl in a spiral!
2. Pothos (Epipremnum spp) – Also known as Devil’s Ivy, these trailing plants are very popular for those who have difficulty caring for plants. They do well in most lighting conditions, including the fluorescent light of offices, although you should avoid direct sunlight. Place in an East-facing window for optimal light. They are happiest when they get watered every 1-2 weeks, or when their soil mostly dries out. Known to be very rapid growers, pothos can grow up to 1ft per month! Neon, Marble Queen, and Satin are just a few of the more colourful varieties available.
3. Air Plants (Tillandsia spp) – No soil required! Air plants are epiphytes, meaning they attach themselves to other plants and receive their water and nutrients from the air and humidity around them. You can place them on a shelf and they’ll be happy! They also enjoy a good misting every once in a while. They are happiest in bright, indirect light. All Tillandsias are flowering plants, and they like to change colours from silver-green to bright pink and red when they’re about to bloom. However, it might be a few years before you see any flowers; they are very slow growers. Some interesting varieties of Tillandsia include Maxima or Huamelula, Fuego, and Bulbosa.
4. Chinese Evergreen (Aglaonema spp) – These plants are known for their ability to grow in nearly any light conditions, including fluorescent light and even shade! They thrive in moist soil; you can water them thoroughly every 1-2 weeks. Aglaonemas tend to grow rather slowly. They are beautiful plants with boldly patterned foliage. There are many varieties including Siam Aurora, White Calcite, and Lady Valentine.
Aglaonema “Siam Aurora”
5. Peperomia spp – These plants are very forgiving! Their round, thick leaves store plenty of moisture that they can use if you forget to water. Ideally, it’s best to water them every 1-2 weeks. Their growth rate is moderate, with trailing varieties growing around 2-4 ft per year. Bright to medium indirect light is where they’ll be happiest. Varieties of peperomia all look very different, with some examples being Rubella, Incana, and Caperata “Schumi Red.”
Peperomia caperata “Schumi Red”
Now that we’ve introduced you to these low-maintenance plants, you don’t need to worry about neglecting your greenery. Have fun brightening up your home with all the colourful varieties available!
by Aaron Witherspoon